Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Ongoing Debate in My Head

To conceive now or conceive later? That is my question.

Reasons to do it now:
I'm not getting any younger
I will have the baby long enough before my sister's wedding to be able to drop a few pounds.
I will not be giving birth during hunting season:)
I want Cole and his sibling to be close in age (they will be just over 2 years apart). If I wait until my next window, they will be 4 years apart.
If I don't do it now, I will wait until after my sister's wedding, which is in Oct. 0f 2010. That seems really far away:)
Cole will have someone to play with:)
If my sister Sarah gets pregnant anytime soon, our kids will be close in age.
My SIL Cassidy is pregnant now and our kids could be close in age:)
Even though I like my full night sleep, I'd rather get the sleepless nights over with now.
I have insurance now through my work that will cover all of the fertility stuff and the has great coverage for all of the maternity.

Reason for later:
I'm not THAT old:)
I won't have a newborn at my sister's wedding.
I will more than likely quit my job, which would leave my dad in a bind and I don't want to do that but working here with one kid is hard enough! I don't want to put my kids in daycare.
I can get down to my goal weight BEFORE I get pregnant. It will be easier to drop the weight afterward and I won't look like such a heifer while I'm pregnant.
I won't steal any of the thunder if my sister does get pregnant soon (not that she would think that).
I'm 3 years younger than my older sister and 5 years older than my younger sister and we are all VERY close, so don't think the 4 year age gap will really matter.
I like my full night sleep:)

Honestly, it's pretty even for both sides of the argument. No matter what, having a second kid does freak me out in a way. I'm so used to just having Cole and just loving Cole. I would never want him to feel left out or that he is not as important as a new baby. I don't know if him being younger or older will help in the process of welcoming a new baby. Truth be told, I would be happy just having Cole but I know that for his sake, he needs a sibling. Every only child I have ever known has told me that they wish they had a sibling. I would never want to do that to him. I also know that when I have my next kid, I won't know what I would do without them. So, to those of you who are reading this and have multiple kids, a little advice please. I know there's never a "perfect time" but there has to be a "better" time, right? Travis just wants another one and doesn't care when, as long as it doesn't conflict with hunting:) Oh, how I love that man of mine:)

1 comment:

Josh said...

I say now. That's just because I'm a "just get it done" type of person though. Plus our little one would have a close cousin. Then you just need to move to our side of town so they can be close geographically too.